About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I am blessed to live in San Diego. People come here for a vacation and I get live here all year long. I taught 2nd grade for 43years and retired in 2013.I still volunteer in a 2nd grade at my school every Thursday. I have two grown daughters that are a very important part of my life. I am married a wonderfully patient man with two daughters a son and two granddauhters, and we live with two very entertaining cats. While I enjoy champagne at a wedding or special occasion , I do not need alcohol to have fun and it is never an option if I am upset. I truly can find joy in simple pleasures. I do not drink coffee, I am so blessed to take care of my youngest granddaughter once a week. She calls me Gamma and Bill is Popi. Hearing her say her names for us brings such joy to my heart.

Mr. and Mrs.

Mr. and Mrs.
in the romantic chairs

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Quaintly Quizzical Qs

As I think of Q words, I realize so many have to do with my being a teacher for so many, many years.

1. quizzes--always giving them, always grading them. It sounds less scary than
test, but don't tell, it's the same thing.

2. questions--children are always asking questions. I have invested in many
Q/A books to satisfy their curiosity. I learn things by reading them also.

3. quintuple--We quintuple a number when we learn to multiply by 5 and they
can't wait to use that word with their parents.

4. quibble--We try not to quarrel over silly things. Let's not quibble or quarrel.

5. quadrillion--2nd graders love those big numbers. We had to look up that it is
a number followed by 24 zeros. 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

6. quiet--as in those moments of peace and quiet. There are not too many of
them in a typical school day, but I love coming home at the end of the busy, noisy day.

7. quotations--I try to collect them so that I can share them with the class.
They make great handwriting practice.

8. quarter--I have the state quarter collection. There are only three states
left, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii, much to the relief of my family and friends.
Be on the lookout.

9. quixotic--This is a great romantically idealistic word, which is fun to say.
No, it is not a 2nd grade word. I think it originated with Don Quixote.

10. Quest--When I met Bill, I knew my quest was over and my heart was finally
at rest.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Great words! I, too, taught elementary school and loved word games with my kids.

Love quixotic! I hadn't thought of that one! Can you imagine if you put that on a second-grade spelling test? :)

MomOfDudes said...

I am a Don Quixote lover and was raised on the music of Man of La Mancha and his quest.

I loved the pics of your Quadrapeds! I wish I could pet your Samantha Joy.

Blessings...

Crayl said...

Nice list as always Carol! It brings me joy that you join me in thankfulness!

Blog Archive